This week’s episode of 60 Mindful Minutes (did you catch the name change!!??) is all about joy, something I thought I had a pretty good understanding of before I met this week’s guest. But as is the case with most of my guests, I realize there is so much more to see and know than what’s on the surface of my understanding.
Debrena Jackson Gandy is the author of the book All the Joy You Can Stand: 101 Sacred Power Principles for Making Joy Real in Your Life. I found listening to Debrena to be nothing short of electrifying. She is a joy powerhouse who had me looking at joy in a way I had never considered before.
What if joy is the secret power source we need to not only live our day-to-day life but to make all our dreams come true? What if it was the fuel that gave each of us the energy, confidence and clarity to do our best work in the world and make the contribution we were put here to make? Debrena believes joy is the center of our being and the more we can build a capacity for it, the bigger and brighter our lives become.
So, what’s your joy capacity? How much joy can you stand? If you’re anything like me, you probably never thought about these questions before this episode.
Here are a few of my favorite takeaway’s from my interview with Debrena:
- Joy is not something to be pursued; it is an inner state of being and something we connect to. It’s part of our divine design.
- Our capacity for joy can grow and we can increase our ability to tap into, tune into, and turn toward it. We can keep building a joy muscle.
- Joy is an inside job that involves getting rid of our silt, which involves some spiritual excavation to discover and release the heavy things, like resentment and regret, that no longer serve us.
- We need to create space for conscious connection to joy. We do this through stillness and the intentional focus from the external to the internal.
- Discover what’s in your joy diet. Is it stillness, solitude, nature? Is it dancing, laughing? Nourish your joy. Fill the well.
- Consider that joy is the fuel and the power for all the work you want to do in the world. It’s what gives you the confidence and clarity, the magnetism and enthusiasm to influence and attract. When combined with purpose, alignment and intention, it makes you an unstoppable force.
- Joy has a vibration to it. Start tuning into yours. Start tuning into the joy vibration of others. Notice the vibe you give off.
- Creating access to joy and cultivating your capacity for it is not a selfish act. In fact, Debrena believes it’s an act of service and contribution because when we come from joy, that’s when we can have the biggest impact and make the biggest difference. Joy gives you more energy to do the work you came here to do.
A big thanks to Debrena Jackson Gandy for being this week’s guest. You can learn more about her, including her books and workshops, at milliondollarmentor.net.
Until next time,